"Tata Swach - A low cost water "
Company:Design Directions Pvt Ltd
Designer(s): Satish Gokhale, India
Category: Sustainable Living/Environmental Preservation, Professional
User's Profile : -
About SWACH Water Filter
Approximately 4900 deaths are caused by Water borne diseases / day in many parts of the world. This is much more than AIDS.
SWACH is an unique and innovative water purifier, which gives clean and safe drinking water without using electricity or running water, not often available in rural areas. This filter has been designed for the bottom of the pyramid - a segment which does NOT know the difference between water and drinking water.
The core technology of the product - that is the filter - has been developed by TCS and Tata Chemicals. This very efficient filter is made from a rice husk ash – a low-cost natural ingredient. The filter is impregnated with nano-silver particles. This filter has the capability to kill bacteria and disease-causing organisms. It is replaceable. The filter has ample capacity and can purify up to 3000 litres of water.
How Design Directions Pvt. Ltd. worked on the SWACH project and what we did.
We worked closely with our clients - first TCS and then Tata Chemicals Ltd. With our design process of defining and ranking the real problems and creating a solution independent design brief our method of managing the innovative design process, we are able to deliver a product that was distinctive in look, easy to use and therefore intuitive; - and a product which helped make our client’s technology more effective.
Our design -
• Looks up-market and good and the design conveys hygiene and purity.
• Easy to clean, maintain and use
• Simple in construction
• Easy to manufacture, stackable to reduce transport space and cost
• Easy to use
• Incorporated an indicator that shows the life of the filter. It forces the
user to change the bulb (Cartridge after 3000 lts of water filtered) as it
locks the filtering mechanism - a unique feature.
• Users have a pride of ownership
• Has helped to reduce deaths caused by water borne diseases
• One time ownership cost to user is @ USD 20.00 only
• Recurring cost per 6 months is USD @ 5.00 only for 3000 lts of potable
and bacteria free water.
• Our design set a new standard, a category and also raised the bar for
design for the BOP segment
About the Designer/Company
No information has been provided