"Hanoi Lotus Fountain"
Company:New Hanoi Arts Co.,Ltd
Designer(s): Nguyen Thu Thuy, Vietnam, Viet Nam
Category: , Professional
User's Profile : User's Profile
A concrete Lotus-shaped fountain decorated with millions of ceramic mosaic tiles was inaugurated at Mai Xuan Thuong garden in Hanoi on October 9th 2014 to mark the 60th anniversary of Hanoi's Liberation Day (10/10/1954-2014).
The four-meters high fountain with 18 lotus petals in the circle of 12m diameter was built on a single pillar and resembles a lotus blossom. It was designed with 3 layers, each layer featuring a six-petal lotus. Located in the heart of the garden, the symbolic lotus is adorned with millions of 2 by 2cm ceramic mosaic tiles with different tones of orange and yellow.
The construction continues to look eye-catching even in the evening as petals of the lotus change to pink, orange, yellow, green, blue and purple thanks to the lighting system.
Four arc benches were also installed around the fountain. The benches backrests are decorated with ceramic mosaic tiles featuring old Long Bien bridge and Hanoi's old quarter.
The installation and design of the fountain and the benches were leaded by artist Nguyen Thu Thuy, who got the certificate of the Guinness World Records for the Largest Ceramic Mosaic of Hanoi Ceramic Mosaic Mural in 2010 to celebrate Hanoi Millennium (1010-2010). She is also the creator of various valuable mosaic art works such as the Ceramic mosaic mural to celebrate the 40th Anniversary of the signing of Paris Peace Agreement in Choisy le Roi city Hall, France; Vietnam National huge ceramic mosaic Flag (312m2) in the top of Conference building and 6 ceramic mosaic murals in Truong Sa islands ( Spratly islands), Love Hanoi Mosaic sculpture in Hanoi, Teapot fountain in Thai Nguyen,...
About the Designer/Company
- In 2014, artist Thu Thuy had just completed 2 new public art works in Hanoi : Mosaic Golden Lotus Fountain and Love Hanoi Mosaic Heart Sculpture.
- In 2012 and 2014, artist Thu Thuy made the Vietnam Ceramic Mosaic Flag (312m2) and 6 murals in Truong Sa islands (Spratly Islands)
- In 2013 she made the ceramic mosaic “ Vietnam – France friendship” in Choisy le Roi city hall (France) to celebrate the 40th Anniversary of the signing of Paris Peace Agreement (1973-2013).
- In 2011 she made the ceramic mosaic teapot Fountain in Thai Nguyen and Ceramic Mosaic Lotus in steps in Thanh Hoa pagoda.
- From 2006 to 2010 she was the founder and artist leader of Ceramic Mosaic Mural Project in Hanoi.
- 2010 : certificate of Guinness World Records for the Largest Ceramic Mosaic in the world (3.85 km long – 6.950m2)
- 2008 : Bui Xuan Phai Award for the Idea of Hanoi Ceramic Mosaic Mural project – the Gift to celebrate Hanoi Millennium (1010-2010)
- 2005 : Second Prize of Vietnam Press Awards for the writing of articles about Vietnam Cultural Heritage
- 2001- now : member of Hanoi and Vietnam Fine Arts Association
- 2002-2011 : Art critique writer for Hanoimoi newspaper
- 1994-now : Painting Oil, traditional lacquer, Graphic printing and participating in Group exhibitions in Hanoi, Seoul, Bucarest, Washington D.C
- 1994-2000 : Art critique writer for Vietnam Fine Arts Magazine
- 1992 : Graduated from Hanoi Foreign Language Teacher training University
- 1971 : Was born in Hanoi